Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil; for you are with me.
Use the following discussion and reflection questions with chapter 3 of Rebuilt:
- “The Church has a mission statement: Make disciples. That’s it.” If you had to rate your parish on a scale of one to ten (ten being excellent), how well are you doing at making disciples? Why?
- Does your parish have a mission statement? If so, is it drawn from the mission that Christ has given to the Church?
- Could your parish benefit from a retooling of your mission statement?
- The word “evangelization” makes many Catholics feel uncomfortable and yet that is exactly what Jesus and his Apostles did. Pope Paul VI wrote about the Church: “She exists in order to evangelize.” How can you do more evangelization as a parish?
- “Jesus made lost people his priority.” Would you say the same thing about your parish? Why or why not?
- Think for a moment about how you view the Catholics who aren’t at Mass on Sundays—the people who only show up on Christmas and Easter. Do you hold them in contempt? Do you feel that it is their own fault for not coming to church on Sundays? Inspired by Christ’s mission statement, how should you think of them instead?